Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Hope

Hey guys... Another day, another post. This idea actually came from a Crohnie I just met on campus. He was recently diagnosed and mentioned how he wished that more IBD'ers posted who didn't have such a hard time with their disease or medications. This post will be dedicated to good situations people with IBD are in and the aspects of this disease that are more positive.
First order of business: not everyone with IBD is constantly in a flare-up and has just as many good days as bad. Several of my friends from poop camp (ahem.. Camp Oasis) have never had a flare-up since their diagnosis (which for some was as great as 7 years ago). Having IBD doesn't mean you're always going to be running to the bathroom or having a super strict diet. There are people my family knows with IBD and they go out all the time and are only on a couple medications, without having any issues. Some people find a diet that really works for them and they aren't on any medications. Natural treatments may work for others. IBD is such an individual disease that you cannot judge your own by the scariness that's out in cyberspace. Find what works for you. You should definitely do research on drugs and diets that you're considering going on, but don't let a couple of posts about how awful they were deter from trying them.
IBD doesn't have to be a socially awkward disease about which people only whisper. Be loud and proud. I attended Camp Oasis for seven years as a camper and this last summer I was able to attend as a counselor. My best friends in the whole world are these people with the same disease as me. If you go out looking for Crohnies and start talking to them, you'll realize that they are the one group of people that can truly understand you because they understand the deepest part of you that no one else will ever be able to penetrate. I've laughed with them, cried with them, and gone to the hospital to talk about how much IBD can suck, but in the end, I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world. I've made it my mission to not let Crohn's take over my life. I've attended seminars, talked on panels, raised money for awareness; I am in control of my disease, not the other way around. As I was telling my fellow Crohnie, IBD is the best because we get to make poop jokes (which are the best!) and talk about our intestines like it's no big deal. I would choose Crohn's over any other disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment