Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Having a Social Life

I'm so excited to actually be blogging about IBD and college. There were a lot of things I've had to find out the hard way, so I'm hoping someone who reads this will find it helpful.
One thing I've learned: IBD does not equal social life in college. I know. Big shocker. IBD never flares when it's convenient. It waits until you're ready to study for that big exam or right before you're supposed to go out with all your friends. It's taken me awhile, but I'm starting to get the hang of formatting my college life around my disease.
Last year I felt as though I never had enough time to study, sleep, or hang out with my friends. This year, I'm really trying to focus on my grades and staying healthy, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for hanging out with the big group. In the end, that's the decision I've had to make. There's going to be times where I can't get out of bed and won't be able to do anything except sleep or watch a movie. I'm not going to a top-notch school to hang out with people whenever I feel healthy; I came for an education.
Unfortunately, IBD doesn't leave us with many "perfect" options. We have to make choices as to what's most important to us. You can still go out and have a good time, you just have to plan more than a non-Crohnie does.

No comments:

Post a Comment