Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Crohnies United

One of my most important discoveries throughout the last 9 years is the incredible support I've received from my Crohnies. I wouldn't be who I am today without them.
I know there are some people with IBD who don't think the IBD community is for them. However, I would have to disagree. By getting to know others with the same disease and learning about their own fight, you can learn to appreciate your disease. Definitely search for other Crohnies on campus. This year I was put into contact with a first-year Crohnie, and we have a blast talking about poop and other Crohnie-related things. It's so freeing to have someone with whom you can share all the fears and weird stories that you can't tell anyone else. All of my friends know I'm very open about my disease, but there are things that a Crohnie really can't explain to somebody else (the fears of medications, the humiliating moments that you just can't admit to, etc.). Opening up with another IBD'er even helps you be able to talk to non digestively challenged people about your disease because you learn how to talk about it with other people.
My Crohnie on campus and I talk about all things IBD when we're together, and when we parted after lunch, we decided that we need to have some non Crohnie talk at some point. You become friends with IBD'ers because of the disease, but it becomes something even more. These are the people that can actually understand every piece of you, even the ones you hide from the world.
Basically, Crohnies are the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I think life is so much easier after you find some. Talk to your advisor, academic or support, and find out if there's already a support group on campus or someone you can talk to. Almost every Crohnie I found on campus was through advisors. I also cannot stress the amazing-ness of Camp Oasis (a.k.a. Poop Camp). That place has become home for so many people. It's the one place where we aren't special or different. We're just us.

No comments:

Post a Comment