Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Homework? But I have Crohn's...

The inspiration for this post comes from me feeling sick and really not being able to get my work done. College is a terrible time to feel sick because all of our professors expect us to be able to function as well as digestively unchallenged people. Having an invisible disease sucks because they don't think of us as being sick.
Although I'm in some very challenging courses (*cough* organic chemistry *cough*), I've learned that if I'm sick, I'm not going to be able to do my work. I've also learned that it's okay to take breaks, as long as they're necessary and you know that you still have to get your work done eventually. Taking an hour or two break to have "IBD time" doesn't mean that you're a bad student, it just means you realize your limitations.
I haven't had a whole lot of friend time this semester between all my classes and Crohn's, but this Friday night I was able to hang out in my friend's room while doing my Orgo and Spanish homework. Yay! That's something else I've found helpful. When I'm feeling good enough, I multi-task. Although it's not super fun, it was great that I did my homework Friday night because today I don't feel well enough to do my best.
With IBD, doing your homework ahead of time, rather than last minute, has been my life saver. Rather than piling on stress because I only have a little bit of time left before an assignment is due, I do it right away. Less stress (which helps the Crohn's), and I can take a break without feeling bad because I'll already have done what's due.
I haven't had to do this so far, but I figure I may need to at some point: if you can't get an assignment done, talk to your professor right away (assuming that they know about your disease). Hopefully they'll be understanding and give you an extension.
Alas... a paper is due in a little over a week so I should probably finish my first draft... Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment