Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Uncertainties of a Clinical Trial

Tomorrow is my week 6 appointment for the Ustekinumab clinical trial.
I had a great week about fours weeks ago in which I had only 2-3 bowel movements a day, and very little pain, but I'm back to 5ish a day and difficulties sleeping because of the pain. I get tired so easily and I don't like eating because it just causes more pain.
Sometimes it is so frustrating to be on a clinical trial. I have no idea if I even got the medication. However, there was that one week of being quite a bit closer to a remission state, so I want to have hope that I got the medicine and that it could possibly work for me. As well, because I've been back to where I started, if not a little worse, I know for sure I will get the drug this next time, so I will hopefully be able to tell if it's going to do anything for me.
This whole not knowing thing just gets to me. If I actually got the placebo, but I had that one really great week, why did it only last one week? And what could I do to get that back, because it wouldn't have been from the medication. But if I did get it, why did I only feel good for that one week? Why are my symptoms worsening on it?
Being on a clinical trial, well, I don't really have much hope left to ever reach a remission status. If this doesn't work... then what do I do? I go on another clinical trial and go through all of this uncertainty again?
Mrs. Buntrock told me about her no-carb, no-sugar diet. While it sounds like it's really worked for her, I'm 19 years old. I would be restricting myself from eating pretty much everything. I love pizza and ice cream, I really don't want to stop eating it for the rest of my life.
There's a lot of times where I wonder if I will ever reach a remission status. Since I was 10, I have had 2-3 months where I had few enough symptoms to be considered in remission. Is that what I have to look forward to the rest of my life? While I love learning about different medications and the theories of the cause of IBD, I would much rather learn about it from a book and not as a patient. At least I'll have plenty of personal experience when I'm a gastroenterologist.
All these questions, but no answers. I just hope that all the data they get from me brings us a little bit closer to understanding IBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment