Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Following the Diet

After receiving e-mails about the diet, I figured I should share what I'm doing and how it's been working for me.
I knew that completely cutting out processed foods and carbs was going to be extremely difficult. I don't eat poorly, but I was never a super healthy eater. I did some research about diets and found out that sugar can actually mess with our brains the exact same way as drugs do. If you take it out cold turkey, you will most likely have withdrawal symptoms and crave it so much that you have to eat sugar again. I decided to start the diet slowly.
I always (unless there weren't any good options) took a dessert after lunch and supper. First off, I cut that out. At first, I really wanted a peanut butter cookie or a piece of chocolate cake, but after a week, I decided to have one, and I didn't even want one. I no longer think about taking a dessert because I just don't want it anymore.
Then, I realized that I ate a lot of bread. When I didn't know what I wanted, I would make a sandwich. Instead of doing that, I would make a quesadilla. It still has grain, but not as much. Once I stopped craving sandwiches, I started making sure I took a salad, piece of meat, and possibly fruit (which isn't on the diet, but I wanted to get into eating healthy).
Throughout this time, I'd stopped drinking milk for every meal. I made sure I drank a glass of water in line for the drinks and then got a second; this is based on other diet articles I read. Water helps clear out our intestines. I stopped putting cheese on my quesadillas and salads and no longer took cottage cheese.
Now, when I crave potato chips or something salty and unhealthy, I eat almonds. I've been doing this long enough that I actually crave almonds over chips. I make sure I eat a small salad with every meal.
I've made myself the goal that by the new year, I will be 100% on this diet. It will have taken me about a month to make the transition, but I don't mind that it took a long time. Having the goal has allowed me to eat a cookie when I want one without feeling guilty, but I'm also working on only eating these foods. It's not difficult, and I feel so much healthier.
 
I will keep you all updated on how the diet is going and whether I feel better. I never believed a diet would work, but we'll see!
 
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment