Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thankful for Crohn's

I know it's been pretty much forever since I've last posted, but with finals coming up I am so incredibly busy.
With Thanksgiving come (and gone), I felt it time to really think about how thankful I am to have Crohn's disease. It's not that IBD is rainbows and unicorns, but I've spent so much time in the recent past being angry about my never-ending flares to really remember why I love having this disease.
Because of my Crohn's, I've been able to enjoy life more.
Since the start of my clinical trial, my CDAI (Crohn's disease activity index) has reduced dramatically, not to a remission, but I have quite a bit less pain. The other day, I had one formed bowel movement and almost no pain. It was such a glorious day, and I fully enjoyed it.
That day made me realize that, without my Crohn's, I would not have been able to appreciate feeling healthy and well. I will never take a day that I am able to get out of bed and do everything I want for granted. I think that's pretty darn cool. Each day that I wake up in little-to-no pain, I feel fantastic.
Even when I'm feeling fairly ill, I enjoy everything I do more, because I know I'm going to pay for it later. Eating a greasy pizza, or popcorn is absolutely amazing, because it has to be, or it wouldn't be worth putting myself through the after-pain.
I realize it sounds silly to be thankful for pain and accidents, but they help put life into perspective. Today, I was so thankful to not have to rush to go to the bathroom. I casually waited until it was a convenient time, and then walked over. Best bathroom time in a long time. Most people just go to the bathroom, and that's it. I'm so happy I have the chance to be grateful about making it on time.
For all those people who feel sorry for us with a chronic disease, I feel sorry that you probably don't have the chance to appreciate some of the simplest things in life.
Crohn's disease is an awesome disease :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment