Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Power of Friendship

I know it's been a long time since I've written, but mid-terms and a broken laptop tend to have that effect.
I want to give a big shout-out/thanks to all of those people who don't have IBD, but have always been there for me. I know I talk a lot about the support I gain from Crohnies, but I get so much from the non-digestively challenged people as well. I want to dedicate a post to those people.
This blog is inspired by a non-Crohnie who really gave me hope and inspired me today; she reminded me that people are fighting for me, and not just those with IBD. Friendship is so important to those of us with a chronic illness. I know I couldn't do any of this on my own, but my family, friends, and crohnies have been there with me every step of the way.
 
Two weeks ago I was informed that I have three options (from most conservative to least):
  1. Go on a combination of medications that I've already been on. One caused damage to my liver when it was at a high enough dosage to help my Crohn's. The other made me throw up for days after injecting myself. My doctor told me my best chance of this combo working was 1/10.
  2. Try a drug that is different from others I've been on. It is an injection that targets an alpha and beta blocker. There is a risk of brain infection, but only if you've been exposed to the JC Virus (which is a 1/2 chance anyone has been). This sounded like a good option... until I was told that in this medical period, no clinical trial will accept you. There's still a risk of developing a brain infection after you stop the drug, and they don't want that risk. Because I haven't lasted long on any medication, I would have risked alienating myself from potential drugs.
  3. Starting a clinical trial. The one I chose is fairly safe as it is already FDA approved for plaque psoriasis. It's double blind, so I won't know if I'm getting the drug, and we don't know how my body will react to it. It targests two IL's (I don't have the list with me since I'm in the computer lab. It's 2/3: 12, 17, 23) which will hopefully prevent the formation of Thm 17 which they believe causes inflammation.
  4. Surgery. Not a good option. Ever.
I am ready for a break.
A break from medications making me sick, giving me other diseases, not working. All I want is to not have to worry about having an accident during class, or to not have a body filled with aches and pains.
All of this gets me down so often. However, I have such an amazing support group that always pull me back up. They don't make fun of me for spending a copious amount of time in the bathroom... sometimes they do, but they do in a way that doesn't make me feel belittled.
Crohn's may make my life miserable, but I have friends that will be there for me, no matter what, and I know that I can do anything with their support.
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment