Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

I Totally Understand...

I never thought I'd do a post on the stupid sayings of non-IBD'ers, but I recently was told by someone that they understood exactly what I was going through, because he once dated a girl with Crohn's. So, here are some stupid things people have said to me, and how I would like to respond.
  • So that means you can't poop... which means you're going to explode with poop!
    • Yes, because my digestive system is attacking my intestines, they don't work at all. Better stay away or my feces will explode all over you! I'm not really sure what this guy was thinking.
  • Oh! My friend was on this medication and they're cured! I'll give you their information so you can try
    • So first off, Crohn's disease can't be cured. I'm not sure if he got his information incorrectly or his friend just doesn't know a lot about IBD. Either way, you're not a doctor, don't tell me what I should be doing to treat my individual disease. I've been living with it a lot longer than you've known your friend. Sure, give me the information, but don't tell me I should do it so I can be "cured."
    •  
  • Think positively.
    • Because that's going to help.
    • Thinking happy thoughts... I'm cured.
    •  
  • I understand; I once knew someone with that.
    • You're right, knowing someone with a disease makes you understand what I go through every day. My mom even admits that she doesn't know what I'm going through, and she knows best, other than my Crohnies. Unless the person is giving you a blow-by-blow of what's going on, you have no idea.
       
  • You don't look sick and you never complain, you must be doing really well.
    • If I told you how crappy I feel all the time, you wouldn't want to know me! If I really told you how I felt, you'd be hearing about bloody diarrhea, my nausea, and pain every second of every day. Just because you see me the times that I'm well enough to go out and do something, doesn't mean that I'm all of the sudden feeling all better.
    •  
  • Can I catch that?
    • Yes, you better stay far away from me.
    •  
  • At least it's not cancer.
    • You're right, I should be grateful that I only have a chronic disease that will cause me endless pain for the rest of my life.
    •  
  • Cool! So that means you'll be able to stay skinny!
    • Yes! You see, I actually sold my soul to the devil; constant pain for never being morbidly obese. Fair trade I think.
 
I really am grateful that my professors, family, and friends are really supportive, but some things I have been told are absolutely ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment