Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week

Considering it's Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week, I thought it'd be appropriate to finally write another post.
Things are going really well for me - my last colonoscopy showed only mild-moderate ulceration in my neo-terminal ileum and some moderate ulceration at my anastomosis. It was probably my best colonoscopy discluding the one performed shortly after my surgery three years ago.
I know I should be very grateful to have such a good colonoscopy, but the only reason I had one was because I was having 10-12 loose stools a day. My doctor ruled that as caused by some bug, but we said that it was sketchy that I have such up and down periods of symptoms.
Now that I know my intestines look well, I'd like to make it my goal to reduce symptoms. I want to stop running fevers and having diarrhea and having pain. Maybe that means finding the right amount of exercise and diet.
I think maintenance is extremely difficult. On one hand, doing certain exercises and eating completely healthy would probably mean a lessening of symptoms, but I was miserable eating only rabbit food. As well, I like to push myself - even though that means some workouts will end early because I'm in pain.
A patient advocate told me about a woman who was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in the '60's. She said that if she avoided everything that ever caused her pain, there would be nothing to eat or do. Sometimes, she eats things that she knows is going to cause her pain, but that's because she wants to live.

That's about where I am. It's time to start figuring out how many symptoms I am willing to live with and what kind of lifestyle that keeps me happy will put me there. Although being symptom-free would be my ultimate goal, it looks like we're not quite there.

Happy Awareness Week everyone! Hopefully we all can find the happy medium of living our lives with minimal symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment