Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Running and IBD

Now that I'm really trying to get into running, I've started reading more blogs and articles on it. There's plenty of advice out there about how one should train and eat during runs. However, not a lot of places fit IBD into the picture.
Throughout the next few posts, I will share with everyone how I've gone from not being able to run a half mile, to consistently running 3 miles.
First off, I set goals. I cannot do activities unless I have a goal in mind that I want to reach. I started in January and told myself that I wanted to run a half marathon by the end of the year. At the start my running was terrible. I was constantly feeling nauseous and needing to poop.
 
My best advice for you Crohnies: try different routines until you find what works for you.
 
I don't care what all of those fancy websites tell you, they don't have a disease that makes the semi-bouncy motion of running make you need to poop every few minutes.
You might need to run at a certain time of the day, or a certain amount of time after eating. That was my problem in the beginning; I thought that there was a "right way" to run and it ended up being completely wrong for my body and my disesase.
 
Secondly, I didn't stop just because I kept having one bad day after another. Sure, there were days that I was done after a quarter of a mile, but I knew this was something I really wanted, so every couple I'd be trudging along.
 
Although you may think it is impossible for you to run because you have IBD, if you give yourself enough time and try out different times you run, etc. I know that anyone can start running.
 
Here's your challenge: make a goal for yourself, something you thought IBD made impossible, and make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment