Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Never Give Up

I'm going to continue on my story about how I got into running.
As I said before, you need to set goals for yourself and you need to keep going, even if you have a bad day. For me, it was difficult to continue when I hadn't met my goals. I told myself in January that I would be able to run six miles by the end of May. By the time May was coming around, I was lucky if I ran 20 minutes without stopping. It was super frustrating to realize I wasn't even halfway to my goals. I had to keep telling myself that it was okay if it took another year to run a half marathon.
I then went to DC and didn't have time to run for about a week because I was unpacking from college and repacking to work at my summer job. I wasn't even sure if I was going to keep up with running. However, we have a two mile loop around the lake, and I figured it would be easy enough to run that.
Boy, was I wrong.
A week of not running and I had to walk the last half. It was very humbling to have to work my way back up to running a couple miles at a time. No matter how difficult it was, though, I kept running a couple times a week. Eventually I was able to make it the entire way without running. Then I was able to go a little faster. Then, last week I hit my three mile marker.
 
Throughout the rest of the summer I have plans to improve my mile times and make it up to six miles of running at a time, but I will be okay if I do not hit those goals. The important part is to keep running and keep aspiring to make those goals eventually happen.
 
Keep working towards your own, seemingly impossible, goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment