Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

What to do when medicine fails

Hey everyone! January flew by. J-term has ended and I am currently relaxing at home, about ready to fill out a facilitator training application so I can run an official CCFA support group. Crazy stuff.
I've definitely learned that one needs time for relaxation. Lately I've been so worried about getting everything done for the NCCL (national council of collegiate leaders) and the support group on campus and school work, that I haven't taken a lot of time for myself.
My Crohn's has seen the need to show itself again. I find myself running to the bathroom and lying awake at night because the pain makes it difficult to fall asleep. I felt so well after starting this clinical trial - I don't understand why all my syptoms are coming back. After calling Mayo because I was running a temperature, they talked about the possibility of hospitalizing me. I don't about other organic chemistry students, but I don't have the time to sit around in the hospital trying to get better.
So what do I do?
I've never understood why medications don't work for me that work for countless other people. Maybe I have a really strange form of IBD. I can eat raw vegetables, but cooked ones won't be digested. It's as though my body feels the need to be unique.
The only thing it seems like I can do now is rely on natural treatments and diet. I had given up on the no grain, no dairy, no sugar, no fruit diet because I felt so depressed eating on it, but it seems like that's my best shot. For Lent, it looks like that will be my devotion - trying to get healthy again.
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to  have a normal digestive tract. Food would be fantastic, but I would probably weigh 50 pounds more. I would be able to sleep more, but I would probably get less done because I'd be sleeping.
I never was a believer in holistic type things or diets - they always seemed like a bit of hogwash. Maybe in a month or two from now I will actually reach remission, and I will be able to tell everyone that diet is what put my severe Crohn's in remission - not the fancy medicines that my brilliant doctor said would make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment