Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Between a flare and remission

I know it's been awhile since I've written, but I've been trying to get back into a routine with new classes, work schedule, etc.
It's always difficult to know how I should be feeling, and whether or not I should be satisfied with how I'm feeling. Since I've been trying to eat healthier, I go to the bathroom less and I have less pain, but I am nowhere near being symptom free. Sometimes I have random Crohn's pains or I feel sick to my stomach.
Remembering where I was even two months ago, I want to say that I'm in a remission. I feel so much better than I did. However, I have those times where I spend 10 minutes in the bathroom, or I have an attack, and it makes me feel that I should be doing something so I don't have them anymore. At my last appointment, I had had very few symptoms in the last couple days, and my nurse was visibly relieved. We had been talking about what I could do to feel better and she had said there really weren't any other options.
Because there's really no other options (either a new clinical trial or surgery), am I stuck at a semi-remission being a full remission for me? When things are bad I remember that there are other people out there who have it worse than me. Some people have several surgeries right after another. Others can't work or eat through a feeding tube. Then I look at other people who can go out and do whatever they want because they have no symptoms. When you're in the middle, are you a complainer for wanting to have less symptoms?
I've personally decided to stop trying to find some magical cure. I was feeling better Crohn's-wise on the Diet Evolution, but I was mentally unsettled by only eating salads for every meal. I have backed off from unhealthy foods, but I allow myself to eat something "unhealthy" (a cookie or piece of bread) every day or so because I'm not a rabbit.
Maybe I should be grateful that I'm able to go about my daily life, but it'd be nice to have a less personal relationship with all of the college bathrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment