Don't let your Crohn's win. Beat the Crohn's.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Defying my Limitations

Veni
Cucurri
Vici

I came
I ran
I conquered

Today, I reached my first major goal in running. I ran 13.1 miles. They were slow; they were tough; but they have been completed for the first time.
My initial goal for the day was 11 miles. Normally when I go for a run, I look at how far I'd like to go, the pace I'm hoping to go, and then head out for my usual trail. Today, I took to heart what one of my friends said, "When you have good running shoes, every run is an adventure." There was no way I was going to stick to the same trails that I always use. My run today was absolutely gorgeous - I discovered new trails in the words and spent a couple hours running through beautiful fall trees.
There are no words to truly describe how I felt after meeting this goals - sore, tired, and worn out come to mind, but there was more to it than that. There was satisfaction in knowing that I didn't give up after poop #1 or #2. There was relief knowing that my Crohn's can't keep me down forever. There was pride in knowing that I have pushed my body farther than many people thought possible.

My new favorite quote reads: "Know your limitations. Then defy them."

I've always told myself that nothing was worth doing that would make my Crohn's give me a tough time. Then, I started running. There was no way I was going to stop running whenever I had abdominal pain; I never would have made it past two miles. This journey has taught me that I don't have to stop doing what I love just because Crohn's is yelling at me.
Sure, my time sucked, but I look at this first half-marathon distance as the starting point for me to become a much better runner. I have so much to work on - and that's very exciting for me.

I look forward to getting my half-marathon time under two hours.
I look forward to being able to run a marathon.
Most of all, I look forward to defying my Crohn's every time I wake up and put my running shoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment